Acne is a typical skin disorder, often faced by teenagers irrespective of any region or race. Acne infection usually targets our face, chest, back, neck, and arm. The visible lesions are mainly blackheads, whiteheads, pimples, and even deeper lumps like cysts and nodules. Nevertheless, this malady is not limited to any specific age group; adults in their twenties to forties could fall prey to acne. Although, it is not a life-threatening ailment, acne could be frustrating and severe cases can disfigure your face or other body parts. Following are some easy preventive measures as acne self-care so that you can treat existing blemishes and shun further acne breakouts.
Familiar Over-the-Counter Acne Medications
No matter if you are an adult or teenager, some over-the-counter acne medications always proved to be helpful for everyone to restrain the flair. There are hundreds of assorted treatments which could be found in pharmacies to fight acne. But, it is really an overwhelming task to find out the correct option.
Pick any one of the following next time when you visit an apothecary:
• Benzoyl peroxide is frequently used as the most effective medication for acne. This chemical kills the causative bacteria Propionibacterium acnes. First clean your face and apply an ointment with 2.5% benzoyl peroxide before applying any moisturizer.
• Salicylic acid is a beta hydroxyl acid derivative which promotes softening of the skin so that the loose dead skin cells could flake off rapidly. This is also known as keratolytic effect on the skin. This is one of best acne self-care to prevent clogged pores and excess sebum.
• Alpha hydroxyl acid or AHA is another most effective medication for acne. For decades, women from every part of this world have been using lemons or other citrus fruits and milk to soften the skin. Citric acid and lactic acid respectively from fruits and milk play the key role in this respect. The best AHA-glycolic acid – is derived from sugar cane. AHAs, both natural and synthetically derived products, would be available over-the-counter.
• Sulfur is one of the age-old acne medications. It is extremely effective in wiping out whiteheads and blackheads. Sulfur dries out the excess sebum, thereby preventing the proliferation of bacteria P. acnes. Although sulfur is suitable for oily skin, it is not useful for inflamed cystic acne. Sulfur would be available at pharmacies as an exfoliating cleanser or mild soap.
- Resorcinol is another regular drug used to treat several skin disorders including acne, eczema, dandruff, etc. Being a strong chemical, do not use it with any cleanser or astringent, unless advised by a dermatologist.
- If you have body acne it would be advisable to use antidandruff shampoo with zinc or antibacterial soap that would help to remove excess oil and killing bacteria.
- If you are looking for a natural remedy then tree tea oil would be a good choice. It is a natural antiseptic, which is produced by the steam distillation of the leaves of Melaleuca alternifolia. Extensive studies shown that this oil is effective as 5% benzoyl peroxide solution. This is especially recommended for soft and sensitive skin that cannot tolerate the harsh effect of benzoyl peroxide.
Stop Breakouts by Acne Self-Care
If you want to minimize your number of over-the-counter visits and, then follow some tips as Acne Self-Care treatment to eradicate the core reason.
- Always go for noncomedogenic, nonacnegenic, and oil-free water based cosmetics and moisturizers.
- Drink six to eight glasses of water daily; include ample fresh fruits and vegetables in your diet, cut down foods like white sugar and flour. Avoid those food items which are allergic for you, as it is believed that food allergy is one of the primal causes of acne.
- Change the brand of your oral contraceptive pills if you feel they are playing a role behind your blemishes. Some brands might trigger acne for some woman, while some help to alleviate acne symptoms.
- Use castor oil to clean your oily face. After that use olive oil or grape seed oil as moisturizer. This would help you to keep your skin clean, oil free, and soft.
Appropriate Acne Self-Care on time would definitely aid you to diminish the likelihood of formation of blemishes. But this won’t happen overnight! Through diligence and perseverance you would surely succeed in achieving an acne free happy life.