Acne rosacea is one kind of skin ailment which is usually more common among middle-age adults. However, the occurrence of rosacea among young adults and even adolescents is not uncommon. It usually attacks the central zone of the face and is characterized by excessive flushing or redness, swelling of the affected areas, firm and cystic lesions filled with pus and sometimes even ruptured blood vessels.
Sun damage inflicted on the blood vessels and the linking tissue is another phenomenon associated with this chronic skin disease. A prolonged illness might attack the nose which results in enlargement and distortion of the nose called rhinophyma, which is caused by overgrown sebaceous glands. Also sometimes swelling of the face and disturbances in the eyes are noticed.
The How and Why of Acne Rosacea
Unfortunately the cause of rosacea is still unknown. However, it is found that rosacea is more common among people with fair complexion who are more exposed to fits of emotion, excessive consumption of alcoholic beverages, caffeine, and a few other food items like cheese. There are several other factors associated with the upsurge of rosacea namely,
• Gastrointestinal diseases
• Sunlight exposure
• Hot drinks and spicy foods
• Presence of a certain kind of mites in the facial sebaceous glands
Essential Remedial Steps for healing Acne Rosacea
• Prolonged treatment and preventive measures are the only way to combat this chronic and cumbersome skin disorder. And one must not ignore or try self-medication instead of visiting the physician. This disease is more alarming and severe than common acne, and therefore it demands greater and more intensive care and attention which must essentially involve professional medical intervention.
• Several topical and oral medicines are used to combat rosacea. Oral antibiotics like tetracycline are very popular for their frequent use in treating this skin ailment. Physicians generally start with a higher dose and then reduce the amount depending on the rate of improvement found in the patient.
• Topical antibiotics like metronidazole are very common and used particularly in curing patients with acne rosacea. It is known for its efficiency in reducing the redness as well as inflammation. Other than metronidazole, other topical antibiotics like topical erythromycin and clindamycin also work well on these patients.
• Topical cortisone, one kind of steroid, is also used extensively by the physicians. However, the use of steroids is restricted by limiting it within a short-term administration.
• In a number of cases, the physicians also try tretinoin or isotretinoin in an attempt to destroy the mites involved into the formation of acne rosacea.
• So far as treatment of the dilated blood vessels is concerned, they are cured by laser surgery where a small electric needle is used to restore the affected blood vessels. Similar surgical procedure is also available to heal up rhinophyma and the deep scars caused by rosacea.
• Abrasive cleansing products, certain cosmetics, creams, or even hair sprays might boost up the severity of the disease. Never use anything that causes irritation on the flushing skin surface. While buying skin care products and cosmetics, carefully check for the alcoholic content which, if present, might worsen the condition.
Things That Need to be Avoided
Try to keep in mind that rosacea is not common acne or acne vulgaris. Therefore, never go for the over-the-counter products to heal this disease, or things might take a worse turn. Irritation is an important factor which must be avoided by rosacea patients. And using these OTC medications meant for common acne would be nothing more than inviting a pain in the neck since they are very likely to generate irritation on rosacea affected skin surface. Therefore, it is always wise to consult a dermatologist for an effective medication.
If you are a smoker, or love to eat spicy or oily junk food, alcoholic beverages, then be alert now before it is too late. These food items or ingredients are malicious to inflict flushing or redness.
Avoid sunlight and also stay away from extreme ups and downs of temperature which might also be associated with the factors causing acne rosacea.